We are the Reception class. We enjoy learning through play and we have lots of resources to make our learning fun. In Reception we will be learning skills, acquiring new knowledge and demonstrating their understanding through 7 areas of learning and development.
The 3 prime areas are:
- Communication and language
- Physical Development
- Personal, social and emotional development.
Then there are 4 specific areas:
- Understanding the world;
- Expressive arts and design.
We are learning that it is important to work together, to help each other and also to become independent learners with an ability to gather the resources we need to complete a task. These skills help us to learn and are highlighted in our learning journeys. Our learning journeys also keep a record of our achievements in the seven areas of learning in the Foundation Stage.
In reception we learn by playing and exploring, being active, and through creative and critical thinking which takes place both indoors and outside. In our classroom we have lots of different areas that we can use to learn, these are:
- A quiet area that we can use for reading,
- Construction area where we can plan and make models,
- Role play area for using our imagination,
- Writing area to develop our drawing and other writing skills,
- Creative area for collage, paint and modelling work,
- A music area for exploring sounds,
- A computer area for using technology to support our learning.
- An investigation area for investigating the world around us.
- A water area for exploring capacity.
- A funky fingers table for using playdough and other malleable materials.
We have an outdoor area which we can use all year round the weather! In our outdoor area we have;
- a sand area,
- a water area,
- a role play area,
- a creative area,
- a small world area,
- a reading area,
- a music area,
- Mark making areas.
We know that we can learn both inside and outside of the classroom and we like to go on school trips and have visitors into school to help us in our learning experience. We have been to the National Rail Museum, Bolton Castle, Harlow Carr Gardens, Bolton Abbey and we have lots more trips and visitors planned for this year.
Here is a link to our current long term plan.
Class 1 is a fun place to learn, here are some quotes from the children:
“I like building with the lego.”
“I like drawing.”
“I like learning about numbers.”
“I like fruit time.”
“I like playing in the home corner, with the babies.”
“I like the writing table and the playdough table.”
“I like building train tracks.”